Virginia Tech Financial Aid Office
Study abroad can increase the cost of your education. The financial aid system recognizes this and might provide additional financial aid. Even if you do not qualify for financial aid in Blacksburg, you might qualify when the additional costs of a study abroad program are added to your budget.
There are a limited number of scholarships available. Some are from Virginia Tech and the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC.) Others are provided by other organizations. The University’s Global Education website has a link to Scholarships and Financial Aid. Go there and complete the forms you need.
The VT Financial Aid office is available to help with your questions.
Pamplin College of Business
Scholarship for Pamplin-Sponsored Study Abroad:
Need-based scholarships will be awarded to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in a Pamplin-Sponsored Study Abroad trip on the basis of merit of the international experience, academic and leadership potential, and financial need. The scholarship can be used to cover the cost of tuition, transportation, room and board, medical insurance and other personal expenses associated with extended travel, work, and/or study abroad.
Amount: TBD (Number of awards and amounts are variable)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. What should I do to be ready to apply for a Study Abroad Scholarship?
- File a 2017-2018 FAFSA! ALL applicants must file prior to Pamplin’s on-line Scholarship Application deadline.
- Update Hokie-Spa and major(s)/minor(s) information! Avoid becoming ineligible for scholarships, and update your record! Check all contact information, anticipated graduation date, and major(s)/minor(s) etc. Most scholarships have specific restrictions in the criteria that must be verified against the student record.
- Review the 2017-2018 Pamplin-Sponsored Study Abroad Scholarship criteria to determine your eligibility! All students must be enrolled in the Pamplin College of Business, and interested or enrolled in a Pamplin-sponsored program.
- Prepare a general resume and essay! The essay is limited to one page or 250 words (Maximum file size-250k), and must include: (1) Which program you are interested or enrolled in, and (2) Why you are qualified to receive the scholarship. Save your resume and essay separately so that you may upload them individually when you apply.
Q. Am I eligible to apply?
- The online Study Abroad Scholarship Application is for the purposes of undergraduate and graduate students who are currently enrolled in a Pamplin College of Business major/program, and interested or enrolled in a Pamplin-sponsored study abroad program traveling Fall 2017, Wintermester 17-18, Spring 2018, or Summer term(s) 2018. Eligible applicants must have documented financial need as determined by the results of the 2017-2018 FAFSA. Review the Study Abroad Scholarship criteria for further information.
Q. I was accepted to a Pamplin-sponsored program traveling this summer, 2017. Am I eligible for a scholarship?
- Unfortunately, no. These scholarships must be awarded during the next academic year; Fall 2017, Wintermester 17-18,Spring 2018, Summer term(s) 2018. If you do not travel during that time period, you will not be eligible to receive the funds.
Q. If I already have a 2016-2017 FAFSA on file, do I need to submit another one?
- Yes, because recipients will receive their scholarships in the 2017-2018 academic year, so everyone must file a 2017-2018 FAFSA.
Q. If I know that I will not have financial “need”, can I still apply for a scholarship?
- No, the scholarships will only be awarded to those students who have a documented need, as per the results of the 2017-2018 FAFSA. You may use the FAFSA 4Caster to get a general estimate of your eligibility.
Q. How do I apply for a 2017-2018 FAFSA?
- Go to the Financial Aid and Scholarships website for general information, helpful hints, FAFSA4caster, frequently asked questions, and a link to apply for the FAFSA online. The 2017-2018 FAFSA is available for completion on October 1, 2016 – prior to the upcoming aid year, and must be submitted (with valid signatures) by the application deadline. Virginia Tech priority deadline is January 15th, 2017.
Q. If I receive a 2017-2018 Study Abroad Scholarship and my need status changes, will I still be eligible to receive the scholarship?
- Some college scholarships have to be reduced or cancelled after being awarded for an academic year, due to a student being out of “need based funding” or over the established costs of attendance for an academic year. All recipients will be encouraged to monitor HOKIE SPA, Virginia Tech e-mail, and stay in close contact with a financial aid counselor to be aware of possible changes.
Q. I have not filed my tax return yet, so how can I complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA?
- Starting with the 2017–18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA®), the following changes have been put in place:
- Students are now able to submit a FAFSA®. Students have been able to file a 2017–18 FAFSA since Oct. 1, 2016, rather than beginning on Jan. 1, 2017. The earlier submission date is a permanent change, enabling students to complete and submit a FAFSA as early as Oct. 1 every year. (There is NO CHANGE to the 2016–17 schedule. The FAFSA became available Jan. 1 as in previous years.)
- Students now report earlier income information. Beginning with the 2017–18 FAFSA, students are required to report income information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2017–18 FAFSA, students (and parents, as appropriate) must report their 2015 income information, rather than their 2016 income information.
Q. I am an International student, can I still apply for scholarships since I cannot file a FAFSA?
- Yes. However, International students do not complete a FAFSA. Instead, they are required to click here to complete a College Board Expected Family Contribution (EFC) Calculator. After completion, submit a copy of the estimate printout to the VT Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. The document can be submitted in person at 200 Student Services Building; by fax to 540.231.9139; or, by e-mail/scanned document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Important: Identify on the document that it is to be used for Pamplin Scholarship application purposes.
Applying for a Study Abroad Scholarship
Q. I filed my 2017-2018 FAFSA and updated all of my information, how do I apply for a Study Abroad Scholarship?
Q. When is the Study Abroad Scholarship Application deadline?
- All applications must be complete and submitted online prior to 4:00 p.m. February 17th, 2017 . If you have problems or questions, please contact Linda Tanko prior to the deadline.
Q. I am preparing to write my essay, what should I include?
- Compare your qualifications with the criteria listed. Write an essay highlighting those qualities to support why you are the most qualified candidate, and indicate which program you are interested or enrolled in.
Q. What do I do if I am having trouble uploading my resume and essay to the online Scholarship Application?
- Check the file size to be sure each document does not exceed 250k, and then try to upload again. If you continue to have problems contact Linda Tanko for assistance.
Q. I already submitted an online Study Abroad Scholarship Application, but would like to edit my information. Is it too late?
- No, it is not too late as long as the application is complete prior to the February 17th deadline. Log back in and “Un-Submit the Application”, and then follow each step as you did before. Be sure to complete and re-submit the application before logging out. Incomplete applications will not be eligible for consideration.
Q. I completed the online Scholarship Application, but how do I know if it has been received?
- If you successfully submitted your application with the proper attachments, the last page will state “Application Complete”. You do not need to do anything else. Applicants will be contacted if there is a problem with submission.
Q. When will I be notified if I am a scholarship recipient?
- All recipients and non-recipients will be notified no later than mid-May. In the meantime, please refer to the Pamplin International Programs website to get program contact information, details, and important dates and deadlines for the study abroad program you are interested in.